St. Louis Style Spare Ribs with Cocoa Coffee Dry Rub
Cook time: 90+ Minutes Servings: 4
- 2 racks Smithfield® St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs, membrane removed
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric
- 7 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 4 tsp. ground coffee
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp. ancho chile pepper
- 1/8 tsp. coriander
- Build a charcoal fire for indirect cooking by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side empty. Preheat the grill to 250°F.
- For the dry rub: In a small bowl, combine the salt, brown sugar, chili powder, coffee, cocoa, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ancho chile pepper, coriander and turmeric.
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. Generously apply the dry rub onto the front and back of the ribs. Gently pat to ensure that the rub adheres.
- Put the slabs meat side up over indirect heat, away from the coals, close the lid, and cook until the ribs are tender, about 3 hours 30 minutes.
- Remove the ribs from the grill and let them rest uncovered for 5 minutes. Slice the ribs between the bones and serve.