Italian Smoked Pork
Cook time: 90+ Minutes Servings: 10
- 1 Smithfield® Bone-In Pork Shoulder Butt Roast (about 6 lbs.)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- Build a charcoal fire for indirect cooking by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side empty. Preheat the grill to 250°F.
- In a food processor, combine the parsley, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, fennel seeds, and olive oil. Process until a coarse paste is formed. Spread the paste all over the pork. Put the pork into a medium baking pan. Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the bottom of the pan. Put the pan over indirect heat and cook until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 195°F, about 8 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and let it rest for 15 minutes before chopping.
- Return the pan to direct heat and add the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Chop the pork and put it into the stock. Keep warm.